Sunday, December 07, 2014

My Mission Partner


I remember the first time Raquel and I showed up on campus. We were both newbies, just getting used to all the new and strange things. Now we feel much more at home here.

But today, this girl, my mission partner, is leaving to fly back across the ocean to our homeland. (I will be staying here for a few more months.) I think it's safe to say that she is not excited to leave this place - this special place where 300+ precious students come to learn.

I know we've both grown in many ways over the last few months. We've been through a lot together and I'm going to miss so much about her.

Here's just a few of the highlights:
  • Deep conversations under our mosquito net at night - She really got me thinking sometimes.  
  • Our plans for having short prayers in the evening didn't happen - I won't exactly term them short, sometimes they got pretty long... but that was ok. 
  • Taking a cold bath together in our sarongs - If you were nearby, you'd probably hear a few shrieks and outbursts...
  • Getting covered in sweat and dirt and then getting drenched with rain on our intense hike up the jungle mountain... and yet enjoying every minute of it. 
  • Laughing at each other's jokes - sometimes actually rolling on the floor laughing (You know what I'm talking about, Raquel ;)
  • Comparing teaching experiences and funny classroom moments with each other 
  • Seeing her carefree curls bounce up and down as she hurries across campus to her next class
  • Getting into funny, embarrassing situations together - like when we snuck up on a sleeping visitor with one of the girls and then ran away (very rapidly to say the least) when he started to stir. 
  • Oh yeah, the amazing back massages she'd give me sometimes after a long day 
  • And so much more...
I'm grateful that this girl was willing to come on this adventure with me - all the way across the ocean to be teachers together in this foreign land. We've made so many memories that have bonded us together. I look forward to making more fun memories with her in the future.

Thank you, Raquel, for being my mission partner and letting God use you to touch the young lives at Sunshine Orchards! I know the students will miss you too!

The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:
 The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
 The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. 
Numbers 6:24-26




1 comment:

  1. Aww shucks. You shouldn't have. : ) I sure miss you.
    it's hard to believe how clean our shoes look in that picture.

    ReplyDelete