Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Apple of His Eye

We've been dealing with a pretty bad epidemic of pinkeye here at Sunshine Orchards. I'm on my fourth day with it. It's pretty miserable--swollen eyelids, super watery eyes the color of a Red Delicious apple. I've almost forgotten what my eyes normally look like. I had a low-grade fever off and on for the first few days too.

I'm so thankful that I'm feeling better now. I am beginning to see the whites of my eyes peeking through the redness. I keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass." Our Creator wisely made our body to amazingly get rid of invading enemies by itself. We are truly fearfully and wonderfully made. This never ceases to amaze me.

School has been cancelled for the whole week because so many people have the eye disease. It's hard to count, but there are probably at least 150 students that have come down with it at some point. When the announcement was made at worship last night, there were many joyous shouts and exclamations. The students are happy to be on break again.


This morning as I was reading in Psalm 17, I came across this treasure:
       "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings." 

Anything that has to do with "eyes" catches my attention, because of the eye problem that I'm dealing with at the moment. 

I reminded myself of the meaning behind this phrase:
      the apple of one's eye: a person of whom one is extremely fond and proud. [originally
      denoting the pupil of the eye... a symbol of something cherished.]

Wow! To think that the King of the Universe... the Creator of everything... the Savior of the world... has those kind of feelings for me--a sinner.

I have been and always will be in the center focus of His eye - the apple of His eye. This thought is hard to fully grasp with my finite mind.

This is a promise that I should always remember. When faced with challenges and difficulties--such as a bad case of pinkeye or worse--we have the assurance that God knows... and He cares deeply. 

I am richly blessed to be God's child. I'm truly privileged to call such a God, "my God--my Friend."

I'm so glad God doesn't get pinkeye--yet He can empathize with the worst of our problems. Thankfully He always has a clear vision of His children. His eye is on us, just like a mother eagle watches over her young.

"...He kept him as the apple of his eye. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: so the Lord alone did lead him..." (Deuteronomy 32:10-12)

My friends, God cares deeply about your sorrows, worries and fears. God says, "...he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye." (Zechariah 2:8)

You too are as the apple of His eye and nothing can change that fact. 
Oh, that we might more fully put our trust in Him!

"Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name." 
(Psalm 33:18-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment